Saturday, June 23, 2007

Carlsbad Caverns, NM







Carlsbad Caverns National Park was pretty freakin sweet and that Carl guy isn’t as bad as they say either. I’ve got some great cave pictures that I’ll post in and around this very special blog from Days 5 and 6. I’d have to say that my favorite moment was waking up at 6am in the middle of nowhere with nothing around but desert, 3 sleeping guys, and a big ball of fire that was just cresting the horizon. Oh, and let’s not forget Leaky Blue. He too was present and enjoying the endless bed of absorbent that we call the Sonora……just as good as kitty litter as far as Ole Don be concerned. A ranger was kind enough to guide us to this public land and he informed us that it was legit to park overnight. It was pretty exciting to pull off the road and have to unlatch a big gate so that we could drive into a place that is very rarely traveled. Gerald and I scoured the area with head lamps to find a safe place to park (sharp rocks, big rocks, etc.) all the while looking for snakes and scorpions. I did turn over some rocks in the morning and found a baby scorpion who was trying to…………wait, I’m sorry. I really don’t know what he was doing under there. I’ve got a picture of him though. What do you think Josh, can I bring him home for you?

No comments: